Of Earth’s many natural resources, wood carries the most charming aroma, triggering a series of olfactory sensations in our system once inhaled. We’ve witnessed the resurgence of woodsy colognes over the past few years, with every elite fashion brand releasing new formulas or updating their signature lines with the energizing ingredient.
Outside of their singular flavor, woodsy colognes are furnished with virtues that remain absent in your standard bottle of men's cologne. They serve more as functional stimulants that cloak the entire body through minimal sprays. Oriental fragrances tend to bear heavier scents, which stick to you for longer before wearing off. Not to mention they act as a sensory magnets that encourage some snuggle action. Need any other reasons to add several of these to your grooming collection? Didn’t think so.
RELATED: How To Pick A Cologne That'll Work Better Than Any Aphrodisiac
You want to smell nice, but you don't want to smell artificial. You’re more of an earthy guy, who loves the outdoors and the smell of fresh cut grass, pine trees and the air after a thunderstorm. All of these encompass natural smells of the earth that men and women have loved for centuries. Go back to nature with a woodsy cologne that will have everyone falling in love with the way you smell.
Woodsy fragrances have warm, dry smells that will invite others in. They also tend to be heavier, enveloping your entire body in just a few sprays and lasting for longer periods of time.
Most earthy colognes contain notes like sandalwood, cedar, vetiver, agarwood and patchouli. Let’s break these down:
- Sandalwood is obtained from the trees of the genus Santalum which has a heavy, yellow wood, resulting in a long-lasting fragrance. Sandalwood has a rich, sweet fragrance with soft wood notes. It is a subtle, exotic smell that clings to your body and lingers for a decent amount of time.
- Cedar is made from cedar trees native to the mountains of Himalaya and the Mediterranean region. Cedar cologne has a dry and woody scent where its richness and warmth are brought out even more with the warmth touch of skin. It combines well with citrus notes, creating a fragrant, musky scent perfect for an outdoorsy man.
- Vetiver is a mossy grass that grows in wet and damp environments over marshy places and riverbanks. Vetiver has subtle citrus notes combined with hints of leathery, woody notes. It is known for its cooling properties and mixes perfectly with other scents like sandalwood and patchouli.
- Agarwood (also called oud wood) is one of the most expensive woods in the world. It has a rich, musty and nutty scent unique to it. It’s warm and woody, perfect for a cool, fall night. Agarwood is also an aphrodisiac, so be ready to roll when you’re wearing it.
- Patchouli is a bushy herb of the mint family. Therefore, it has a woody, minty undertone with a sweet and herby aroma. And no, you won’t be classified as a hippy if you wear scents with patchouli in them (some say it smells like marijuana because of its herbal odor). Just make sure you’re wearing the right amount, and that it isn’t overpowering and you’ll love the smell.
All of these woodsy, mossy and musty ingredients make sensational heart and base notes within the layers of a cologne. The scents are really brought out when mixed with lighter notes like citrus and rose. The fresh brightness of a cologne fades away to unearth a blend warm, exotic notes that hit the nose in just the right way.
If you’re looking for a masculine, outdoorsy-smelling fragrance, then you came to the right article. The following colognes will both brighten and warm you up so others will want to lean in close. Check out these woodsy picks to make sure you’re the best smelling guy in the room.
Tom Ford Out Wood
In case you didn’t know, Tom Ford pioneered the oud note during his tenure as artistic director of Yves Saint Laurent. The fashion icon has since spawned an “Oud Collection” that borrows the trademark accord of oud, sandalwood, and patchouli, only this time toning down the curative, animalistic elements of the scent for a more artisanal composition suited for the contemporary man. Notes of Szechuan pepper, earthy vetiver, and vanilla help top off a creamy-scent finish that is mildly comforting in chillier climates.
$225.00 at Nordstrom.com
The Art of Shaving’s Vetiver Citron cologne is perfect for a crisper, brighter smell when it’s a beautiful, sunny day in spring or summer. Vetiver is freshly lifted with the note of cold pressed grapefruit. The fragrance ends with subtle, spicy note that makes it a perfect pick for a go-to smell.
$60.00 at Amazon.com
Luxury Sandalwood Cologne
Taylor of Old Bond Street created a tasteful and classic fragrance with this sandalwood scented cologne. Top notes of fresh lemon and herbal influences of lavender, thyme and rosemary brightens the cologne with aromatic and uplifting scents. The middle notes, floral jasmine and white cyclamen, add a fresh layer. The ending notes warm up this fragrance with woods, moss and amber musks. This cologne emcompasses multiple scents, making it a delightful scent for any man.
$46.00 at Amazon.com
Lagerfeld by Karl Lagerfeld
Originally created for Karl Lagerfeld himself, this oriental-woodsy fragrance opens sweetly with notes of orange, estragon, nutmeg, aldehydes and bergamot. It then warms up with notes of cedar wood, sweet jasmine, iris, patchouli, rose sandalwood and tobacco. The cologne overall is a bright and sweet combination that dives deep into a heated, musky fragrance. It’s a dry smelling cologne that will leave others thirsty for a closer look (or sniff, really).
$34.44 at Amazon.com
Batch No. 46 Cologne
Abercrombie and Fitch made a full-bodied, woodsy cologne with Batch No. 46. Inspired by explorers climbing the 46 peaks of the Adirondack Mountains, this cologne is a rich blend of warm woods grounded in dark amber and musk. Cedarwood is very prevalent, making this cologne perfect for an outdoorsy guy. Spray this cologne on in late fall or winter to create an inviting, warmth smell that everyone will want to cuddle up with.
$48.00 at Abercrombie.com
Kenneth Cole Mankind Ultimate
The revered American fashion house has released a bold fragrance that stimulates the senses with a fresh and energetic feel for the modern man. Its savory woody olfactory theme is pleasantly absorbed by the skin ,with notes of cardamom, tarragon leaves, zesty ginger and a splash of pineapple, while more masculine roots of noble cedar and cashmere wood smoothly spread through the air to conquer one’s breathing space. The affordable price tag might be a reflection of its ceaseless endurance, though its dynamic aroma is enough to leave a lasting impression.
$52.60 at Amazon.com
Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Intenso
D&G’s woodsy fragrance is the first infused with the floral and honeyed Moepel accord, which is derived from a South African tree to produce one of the most unique scents ever concocted. The aquatic notes and green nuances of basil and lavender tickle your nostrils upon application. However, the manifest empowerment of Intenso comes from its seductive composition built on the core of labdanum, sandalwood and cypress that exudes intensity and strength. That means it’s active enough to whisk through the wind and draw the attention of any woman passing your direction.
$89.00 at Amazon.com
Best Cologne For Men
3 Cologne Subscriptions To Try Out Now